[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun PRIME

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri May 20 17:29:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 14:46, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> I was over on the Silicon Dust forum and apparantly, the TW 'tuning
>> adapter' (from Cisco) only support two tuners with one TA. This it ends
>> up making one tuner of the 3 in the Prime unusable. So until TW/Cisco
>> decides to update their tuning adapters to more current
>> technology/firmware that support up to 4 tuners, this may be a problem
>> for some TW customers. I have no background in this technology so all I
>> am doing is regurgitating what I found on that list.
>
> This is true currently, but the new FCC regulations that go into
> effect July 1 require them to update the tuning adapter to support at
> least 4 streams. So hopefully this will be resolved by the time the
> Prime comes out (not sure what sort of penalties, if any, there might
> be to entice them to be in compliance as soon as possible).

I cannot believe that Silicon Dust was (a) not aware that the
existing Cisco/SA TAs were two tuner only (it was well
known in the CATV engineering community), and (b) not
planning to be able support more than one TA per Prime
(since there would have been no assurance the FCC would
rule as they did, or what the time frame would have been,
when this design was being performed).

My *conjecture* is that the Prime can/will support more
than one TA (perhaps via a USB hub), although it will
be preferable to not have to do so if the TA is upgraded.
I will note that no official Silicon Dust response has been
added to that forum, so I (and the forum participants) are
probably guessing about the SDV and TA support in the
Prime at FCS.