[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Fluf fluffkinuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 20 17:58:03 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011 18:44, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 20/05/11 18:15, Fluf wrote:
> > On 20 May 2011 14:53, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk
> > <mailto:linux at thehobsons.co.uk>> wrote:
> >

> >     Wouldn't help. Myth doesn't deal with "this mux isn't tuning so I'll
> >     try another" - you just get empty recordings if a transmitter is off
> >     (not that it happens all that much).
> >
> > DOH!!!
> > Are you sure?
> >  >From the last couple of days, I've got as far as thinking myth did the
> > "I have 4 copies of channel 4, so starting with the lowest, can I have
> > this one?" ... So if it couldn't (no signal) ... I'd of thought it would
> > go on to the next? In which case, the theoretical best for me would to
> > have all the channels laid out from all the receivers, numbered with the
> > lowest being the strongest signal options.
> >
> > If yer right ... then there's no point ever having a duplicate, because
> > if it picks a dud first I'll get a blank recording anyway?
> >

> I think that's right.  Myth expects a good signal and records the
> programme.  If you just use a piece of damp string for an aerial in the
> expectation that an unpredictable one of your collection of transmitters
> might give an acceptable signal for a few minutes I suspect that your
> frustration will only increase. :-)
>
> I get very good signals from three transmitters thanks.
So. Myth. It's a pain getting it to tune in. It skips recordings with no
mention in the logs. It can't figure out if it's got a no-signal event.
(what happens if a tuner gets unplugged? Does it blindly record dead tuners
as well?). I read people who say they had it working, but then upgraded
their flavour of Linux and it's never worked since. A lot of the online
documentation is out of date or incomplete. But what it does do .. in theory
.. if I ever get it all working glitch free .. is store everything it
records in a mysql database that has some nice features in remembering what
you've already recorded, and the scheduling is allegedly quite good. If it
records what's scheduled.

I think I might try freevo.