[mythtv-users] Is Btrfs a good choice for MythTV?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat May 21 09:18:52 UTC 2011

On 20/05/11 21:07, Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 5/20/11 3:46 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>>> Back to the original question :)

>>> Is Btrfs a good filesystem to use with MythTV?
>>>
>> Btrfs like zfs are good for eliminating the chance of corrupt data.
>> However I am not sure that is a necessity for anything in Mythtv. At
>> least if I lost a few bits in my data stream on a recording knocking
>> out a few frames it would not be the end of the world.
>>
> Having once recovered files from a disk with bad sectors, I can tell you
> that it's not very pleasant. Myth doesn't just skip over the missing
> frames or show a black screen, it stops playing and returns to the
> menus. Getting back to, and past, the damaged section can be fairly
> annoying. (Did I mention I have a kid who likes to watch the same shows
> over and over?)

This.

Myth could do with a simple, straightforward 'file cleaner' which can be run as
the very first stage of a transcode or commercial-cut process. In the analog
world this step wasn't necessary but digitally it is becoming increasingly so.

I don't want to have to deal with the complexities of Handbrake or any of the
other full-featured editing programs just to get rid of a few glitches caused by
a bird that sat on my aerial for five seconds.

It doesn't need a full-featured program of any sort, just a simple unix-like
filter checking each frame and doing whatever is required to output an
error-free file.

--

Mike Perkins