[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode TRASHES file to 123KB when re-encoding with cut list

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Wed May 25 03:35:07 UTC 2011

Michael T. Dean wrote at about 22:28:05 -0400 on Tuesday, May 24, 2011:
 > On 05/24/2011 09:12 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > If you don't find it "fun" to fix mythtranscode, then why not just
 > > drop the functionality or warn the user? How demanding can that be?
 >
 > OFFICIAL WARNING:
 >
 > All users should enable the mythtv-setup (General) setting:
 >
 > Save original files after transcoding (globally)
 > If enabled and the transcoder is active, the original files will be
 > renamed to .old once the transcoding is complete.
 >
 > because failing to do so could result in losing a recording.  :)
 >
 > > Such supersensitive attitudes displayed by the official development
 > > community certainly does nothing to encourage new users to contribute
 > > their time and effort to improving the code. But hey it's your
 > > project... you don't have to listen to any constructive
 > > criticism... and I can instead choose to invest my time in projects
 > > where the developer community is more welcoming and open...
 >
 > We have 413 open tickets, right now.  If we disabled all the
 > functionality that doesn't work (and can result in loss of recordings,
 > etc.--which would include the backend because of all the things that can
 > cause it to crash or fail to record or ...), we wouldn't have a PVR left.
 >
 > Unfortunately, those 413 tickets mean that we have a /lot/ of tickets
 > for each developer to handle.  And, when one of the more-active
 > developers spends his evening trying to triage /one/ ticket (where
 > triage means just getting the ticket properly filed in our bug tracker),
 > rather than getting to work on code for MythTV, it doesn't help us get
 > any closer to fixing those 413 open tickets.
 >
 > We do appreciate input.  We just have a /lot/ of things that need
 > working on and only a few developers to work on them (especially since
 > several of the developers aren't active due to other commitments in
 > life).  So, having short tickets with to-the-point descriptions of the
 > problems, so that a developer who makes time to work on the issue can
 > read and understand quickly, allows us to spend more time fixing issues
 > rather than reading about them.
 >
 > As far as what seems to be your primary concern--that you lost a
 > recording with the default settings--since there's a setting to allow
 > users to safely transcode without losing anything, even in the event of
 > a failure, this wouldn't fall under my definition of a critical issue
 > (if I were the developer who chose to work on it--see
 > http://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo, "Please do not increase a
 > ticket's priority, severity, or milestone from the defaults. These
 > fields are for the person who is fixing the issue to decide. Don't
 > change these after the ticket's been filed, either - they'll likely just
 > get changed back.").  One could argue that the setting that saves
 > transcodings should be enabled by default, but it's not (and never has
 > been) because most users would never know to go back and clean up the
 > *.old files if they didn't explicitly enable a setting that leaves them,
> [...]

Thank you truly for your very helpful explanation!

And I wasn't suggesting fully disabling mythtranscode...
Just disabling for the specific broken case.
Say, a simple pseudo-code line like:
	 if(input_type eq "nuv" && honorcutlist==1) {
	 	print "Can't transcode from nuv with cutlists\n";
	 	exit 1;
	 }
Or maybe something within mythfrontend like:
   if(sizeof(output recording) < 1MB) don't erase existing recording...

I'm sure there are better ways... but I was just suggesting temporary,
simple fixes to prevent loss. In my opinion, even a bad kludge like the above
is better than risking unannounced data loss... Based on my recent
experience with mythtv (and to be fair some other programs), I have
become rather "paranoid" about data loss...

Finally, if anybody can point me to the relevant code sections and
changes in mythtranscode/cutlists between 0.23 and 0.24, I would be
happy to see if I can figure out what might have changed and caused
the problem...