[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode TRASHES file to 123KB when re-encoding with cut list

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Wed May 25 03:55:53 UTC 2011

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 23:35:07 -0400 on Tuesday, May 24, 2011:
 > Michael T. Dean wrote at about 22:28:05 -0400 on Tuesday, May 24, 2011:

 > Thank you truly for your very helpful explanation!

Michael,
I noticed that you added the following to bug#9801:
    Comment (by mdean):

 	Likely a dup of #8864

While it may or may not be a dup, I would like to point out the
following differences -- however, unfortunately, someone decided to
lock the bug report which of course doesn't help anybody's purpose and is
rather non-constructive to our hopefully shared purpose of fixing
bugs...

So I will post my response here instead and hopefully you will add
this to the thread for clarification....

Anyway here is what I attempted to add to the bug:
Could be a potential dup but differences with #8864 are as follows:
1. I never seem to have any problem transcoding nuv->nuv with no
   cutlist and consistently have the problem with a cutlist
   whereas #8864 more vaguely describes occasional? problems with
   straight nuv->nuv retranscoding.

2. File size is reduced *dramatically* from ~600MB to just  100-150KB
   vs. #8864 which talks more about 1/3 reduction in size and
   corruption. In my case, it seems like transcoding never even really
   starts and the program terminates within seconds.

Could of course be the same but I suspect that this bug may have more
to do with alignment of cutlist with nuv transcoding..