[mythtv-users] Recent Drive Purchase from Newegg -- (10x WD2002FAEX-0)

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Thu May 26 07:12:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Ben Kamen wrote:

> I thought I would share with the group since we talk about such large arrays all the time.
>
> For a colleague of mine, I am setting up a RAID for them using the WDC WD2002FAEX-0 drive.
>
> We bought 10 of them from Newegg. They came in a white foam carrier half
> wrapped in bubble and then placed in a box with a little additional paper
> wadding **UPSIDE DOWN**.

I keep hearing reports of poor HDD packaging by Newegg; I'm amazed their
failure rates aren't totally killing their margins. If I lived in the US, I
wouldn't buy my HDDs from Newegg based on these repeated reports.

By contrast, all of the vendors I've used in the UK (notably Dabs and
Insight) have generally done a pretty good job of packing their HDDs (though
I have had to contact my Insight account manager because they're
inconsistent in the proper use of their packaging, which is superb, but only
if it's used properly!)

>  -Ben

Best Regards,
Alex