[mythtv-users] Transcode to DIVX/XVID with YADIF deinterlacing

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri May 27 15:37:55 UTC 2011

On 27/05/2011 16:28, DarkNovaNick at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a frontend box that is too slow to do very high quality
> deinterlacing or H.264 playback so I'd like to be able to properly
> transcode files to MPEG-4 DIVX / XVID (like the built-in transcoder can
> do) but also add the step of using a high-quality deinterlacer, like
> YADIF, during the transcode so the frontend doesn't have to do any
> deinterlacing. It doesn't seem as though the custom filter allows YADIF.
> What is the best way to do this? Thanks.

I wondered about doing that too, but presumably the input to this
process is 1080i60. When you deinterlace it you'll have the choice
of producing 1080p60 or 1080p30. I'd have imagined that 1080p30
would look less smooth than direct playback of the original
source with a lower-quality deinterlacer, and 1080p60
would be require too much grunt to playback.

Paul.