[mythtv-users] Mything thomething

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat May 28 03:41:35 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Robert McNamara" <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>
> Although admittedly not ideal, the recommended solution to this would
> be to name the orphaned files with title, season, and episode, and
> drop them into mythvideo. A metadata grab will pull back in metadata,
> and at least you have the ability to use the content, with
> semi-equivalent metadata. Obviously there are some shortcomings to
> that approach-- Not all shows necessarily have metadata available, and
> people who are picky about where the content lives (or having exactly
> the same metadata they got from their listings source) get cranky.

My sister, being an Archiver, and thus having 3.5TB of recordings going back
to the Last Big Crash, is one of those people, yes.

Someone writing and testing a manual "copy the data backwards script"
right before release, that people could use manually if a backout was
required, would be *wonderful*.

MythTV these days suffers from what I call Mozilla Syndrome; OOo has it
too, as does any other *really* big and complicated package: the snap
answer in the FOSS community has always been "I look forward to your
patch".  But these packages are so big and complicated that you have
to not only marry them but give birth to their children before you're
capable of having the first idea where to *look* for a place to patch
something.

The FOSS meritocracy has always valued coders over architects and
desingers... something that having spent most of my 30 year career
getting good at, has always amused me sourly: you get what you expect
from that: big complicated programs with sometimes questionable
architecture.

I'm not sure I see a good solution to it, but that doesn't mean it's not
a problem.  Myth is actually better than most, but we suffer from it too...
and the "locked tickets" fracas from last week is an excellent example
of the sort of problem it causes.

If you're gonna run a ticket tracker, you gotta have a full time triage
person/crew, or you get things like Mozilla has: I have a *4 year old*
ticket there that's never even been read, near's I can tell.

Myth is sort of at an equilibrium at the moment, but I think it's only
metastable, and these sorts of problems are the result -- we haven't had
a really *theatrical* developer blowout lately, that I recall, as the
Linux kernel project has this year, but I'd really hate to see one too,
as much fun as they are to watch from outside....

Cheers,
-- jra