[mythtv-users] Suggested bitrate for transcoding HD Mpeg 2 to Mpeg 4

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Sun May 29 21:12:43 UTC 2011

Just looking to start saving some space and thought I'd transcode some
of the less important shows. My shows record from an HDHomerun (mpeg2)
and I thought I'd transcode to mpeg4. Just to save some hours of
experimenting, any suggestions for a bitrate that will produce a
relatively artifact free HD picture but still a good mpeg4 file size.

I know I'm asking a subjective question, but any suggestions would be
appreciated.