[mythtv-users] Mything thomething

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 30 13:44:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 09:04:07PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 04:25 PM, jedi wrote:

> >> That's basically exactly it.  Plus, when you use MPlayer as the video
> >> player, you get only the MPlayer OSD, and similar--you lack consistency
> >     You also get all of the capabilities of mplayer and all of the developers
> > of mplayer. You have a tool that's much more robust because it's not just
> > limited to the MythTV community.
> >
> >     That's a very handy thing. Consistency isn't really that great if your
> > movies don't play correctly.
> >
> >     The more you take on, the more you have to get right.
>
> Again, it's already out there.  http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
>
> If it's that much better of a solution, then by all means, check it out.

    You say that like MythTV itself wasn't designed for this.

    That's where this friction comes from. Legacy users are using MythTV
as it was designed to be used and it was documented to be used when they
first started using it.

    Plus there's the whole "but it can't play my mundane videos".

    Being an Apple wannabe is fine if you really have the chops for it.