[mythtv-users] Best way to transcode SD shows on HD channels

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Nov 1 11:24:15 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 31, 2011 11:15 PM, "Ian Evans"
<dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've been recording Frasier (whole series in SD) and using the high
> quality transcode but I've noticed the video has a lot of artifacts.
>
> Just curious what other people do to record an SD series yet save some
> space.
>
> Thanks.

I have a custom job that uses Handbrake with the ipod setting... this
transcodes it to h264, and I never have any artifacts.  It drops an hour
show to about 500mb.  Being h264, it does take awhile (I get about
15fps), but for some of the shows, I have another custom script that
will hard cut the commercials first, and then transcode.  For rerun
sydication, it never fails.  Certain primetime shows also always work
(Wipeout and Americas Funniest Home Videos comes to mind).

I believe if you search the archive you will see my script.

It does delete the original and update the database to point to the new
file.  I also do this because I have a private channel on my Roku
internet box that can then read those files as well using a mythweb
hack, so I can watch my myth setup in the bedroom where I have another
Roku box.

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com