[mythtv-users] CBS sucks!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 15:51:16 UTC 2011

On 31/10/11 18:56, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/31/2011 14:28, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> Heh. Even here, in the UK, where the BBC channels are commercial-free, we/very/
>> occasionally get overruns on sports events, although these are usually limited
>> to 'extra time' in football(soccer)
>
> I was under the impression the game clock in Football rarely, if ever, stopped,
> meaning a 90 minute game would always take 90 minutes (plus half time).

Not quite. The "extra time" I quoted above is usually for a significant match
(final, semi-final etc) where the scores are equal at the normal end of the
match. In this case, 30 minutes extra are played, 15 mins each way. If the
result is still equal then, penalties are usually taken. Each side takes five
penalties, the most successful team wins. If both teams are /still/ equal, then
sudden death penalties are taken until someone goofs.

In addition, although a normal match is 90 mins (45+45), "added time" is added
on: for each substitution, and for any halts for injuries or other reasons.
These may include crowd disturbances, streakers and the like. It is normal for
around 3-5 minutes to be added on, although I remember a match where *18*
minutes was added, this was for a player who had a suspected spinal injury and
couldn't be moved without back board, etc.

--

Mike Perkins