[mythtv-users] recommendation for new combined frontend+backend?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:23:41 UTC 2011

On 30 October 2011 18:02, Frank Hartmann <soundart at gmx.net> wrote:
> Frank Hartmann <soundart at gmx.net> writes:
>
>> What I would like to achieve by the upgrade is (most import stuff first):
>>
>> 1) silence (harddisk and fan of current box is a small bit too noisy)
>> 2) 720p50 record and playback (Astra ARD/ZDF/Arte HD) - I think this is H264 encoded
>> ..
>>
>> So I am searching for
>>
>> * a silent chipset/mainboard CPU combo, which can decode 2) and
>>  do the recording housekeeping in parallel in the background
>
> Would the
> * 1.5 GHz AMD Turion II Neo, or the
> * 1.3 GHz AMD Athlon II Neo
>
> as found in the HP proliant miniservers manage to decode above streams?

As I've got an HP MicroServer available here I thought I'd have a
look, but then realised I haven't got any 720p50 content to test with.
However, testing with Big Buck Bunny (720p24, h.264) revealed no
problems during playback using the server's 1.3 GHz AMD Athlon II Neo
CPU and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 chipset.

Playback in VLC was tested using Xv and OpenGL with neither core over
50% utilisation.

With 4 disks in the machine online (250GB OS, 3 x 1.5TB RAID5) energy
consumption during playback was ~50W.

If anyone can point me to some suitable 720p50 content, I can retest.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott