[mythtv-users] Best way to transcode SD shows on HD channels

Roger H mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:09:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been recording Frasier (whole series in SD) and using the high
> quality transcode but I've noticed the video has a lot of artifacts.

Were you using MythTranscode?  I have found that it creates really
exaggerated combing when downconvderting 1080i to 480i (I figure it is
trying to do some sort of poor quality de-interlacing unnecessarily,
although the combing seems too bad to be just that).  Is that what you are
seeing?  It also won't centre cut the video from 16:9 to 4:3.  I plan on
using the script that Kris B mentioned as it promises to be much better.

Roger