[mythtv-users] The Heidi Game: Why TV stays on the sports program

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 19:48:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 14:53 -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
>> "CBS enjoyed a 9.1 rating from 7:00-7:30 (New England at Pittsburgh),
>> and 60 Minutes (airing 30 minutes late) averaged a 4.2 rating"
>
> An unfair comparison for a number of reasons.  The first is that it's
> not considering how many people didn't watch 60 Minutes when they found
> out it was not on at 7PM when they expected it to be and just watched
> their second choice show at that time and additionally chose not to
> switch away from that program in mid-showing to catch 60 minutes late?
>
> The second problem is that you need to add the non-overlapping share
> rating from all of 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race, The Good Wife and
> whatever runs after that on a night where those shows are not running
> late (for the same reason as above).
>
> The reason you need to add the non-overlapping share ratings of all of
> those programs is that all of those programs represent the viewers who
> are being inconvenienced by the overrun.
>
> CBS simply needs to stop trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I guess you can try to explain to CBS how the football game wasn't
twice as popular as 60 Minutes.

Don't get me wrong - I hate having to adjust my recordings on Sunday
to run an extra hour, but I also realize that worrying about won't get
me anywhere, and ranting on a DVR mailing list won't get me anywhere.

BTW, this past week, 60 Minutes had 18,558,000 viewers.  Last season,
60 Minutes averaged 13.36 million viewers per week.  I dare say 60
minutes may regularly get more viewers when it follows football, which
typically means it's delayed.