[mythtv-users] Backend upgrade question

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 02:22:16 UTC 2011

I have a mythtv system that has been reliable, but is starting to fail in
the performance area.  My backend is a 1.2 GHz VIA CPU with 2 GB of memory
and 4 TB of file space.  It is currently running Lucid Lynx in 32 bit mode,
with myth 0.23. I have 3 frontend systems in different rooms in the house,
so this is a dedicated backend.  I just bought a new AMD E-350 motherboard
and 8GB of memory to upgrade the backend hardware, and am pondering my
options.

I want to
1. Upgrade to the new hardware, while preserving the current database and
files
2. Upgrade to 64 bit to be able to use 8 GB
3. Upgrade to 0.24, since I am having VDPAU/Audio problems on one of my
fronted systems

1 is definite, 2 is very desirable, and 3 would be nice.  I know how to
back up the database, install a new 64 bit version of Natty or Oneric, and
then restore the database, but if I do that, it forces the upgrade to 0.24,
and that is the part I am not so sure of.  I know that the database schema
changes with each version, and I am worried about importing a 0.23 database
into a 0.24 installation.

Does anybody have experience?  I have a very high WAF (my current system
has been stable for 3 years, and the one before that was good for about 2
years), and I don't want to ruin it.

Matthew Asplund