[mythtv-users] Backend upgrade question

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:09:16 UTC 2011

> Personally I've given up on non LTS releases of Ubuntu and would install
> 10.04. and not upgrade before 12.04.1, if at all. Then you enable the
> Mythbuntu repos and install 0.23, import your database and check if
> everything works. Then you run sudo dpkg-reconfigure myhtbuntu-repos to
> upgrade to 0.24.
>
> The advantage of LTS releases is, that there are more than one MythTV
> versions available for it in the repository, atm 0.23, 0.24, 0.24.1 and
> 0.25.

just as a note, and it depends how your going to export/import your data,
but if Matt decides to go with a non LTS, then mythbuntu 11.10 does not
have the backup/restore option in mythbuntu-control-center. That said, you
can pull out the .sql.gz (i think thats the name), out of the tar.gz that
myth-CC backup creates and restore it via command line rather than GUI.

i've been doing a bit of work on my mythtv setup and the backup/restore
process is very straight forward, and in the past i've successfully
migrated from 0.23 to 0.24 without issue (unbelievably easy - update to
0.24, run the FE, and it'll prompt to update the sql schema if required).
it'd be worth getting your existing database as an offline copy though just
incase things go wrong.

also note, that the backup will not get your recorded programs. you will
have to manually move them yourself.