[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 3 16:32:49 UTC 2011

On 11/03/2011 12:20 PM, Roger H wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2011 10:29 AM, Scott and Nicole Harris wrote:
>>> My tuners were entered as one tuner each, then I went back in afterwards
>> to add the virtual tuners to get them "staggered".
>>
>> This completely breaks MythTV.  No one should *EVER* do this.  Even if
>> your plan is to use the "break MythTV recordings by prioritizing Live TV
>> over recordings" approach, this is not how it's done.
> Nice to know.  I inadvertently did this myself.
>
> The MythTV wiki for the HVR-1600 (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600#Backend_Setup) says to,
> "Change Max recordings to 1, since this card can only record one thing at a
> time." so I did this at first since I didn't know any better at the time.
> I also did this for my HVR-950Q.  Later, when I realized that this was
> wrong, I changed them both back to 2.
>
> Should I "delete" both tuners and add them back in?

Yeah, it sounds like yours are in alternating order, which prevent
MythTV proper properly utilizing multirec (and will break both
recordings and Live TV).

On the bright side, Delete all capture cards and then re-creating
capture cards and re-connecting inputs takes all of 2 minutes, even at a
slow pace.  With my 6 cards on 2 backend hosts and differing capture
card (Live TV) and input (recording) orders, it takes me 30sec to delete
and re-configure.  It actually takes me more time to shut down the
system so I can run mythtv-setup than it takes to reconfigure it.

Oh, and with Delete all capture cards, your channels are not affected,
so you won't have to rescan or anything.

Mike