[mythtv-users] What is inputlirc and how is it used

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 3 22:11:14 UTC 2011

First thing's first.  Read the etiquette page.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette

That means... plain text emails, no ginormous bold fonts, no underlines,
or italics, or any other crap that makes it annoying to everyone else
just to look at the words in your email.  Maintain proper threading with
the in-reply-to header field.  If your email client does not allow you
to set this manually, you should not respond to digest emails.  If your
email client does not populate that field for replies, you need to get a
new email client rather than create a new thread every single time.

On 11/3/2011 16:45, Gary wrote:
>> On 10/31/2011 11:03 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> And, with the info provided in your question, the /best/ answer is:
>>
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=inputlirc
>>
>> (and, in fact, it gives many /very/ good answers).
>>
>> Mike
>
> Also FYI  The first thing I tried was to search for "inputlirc" -- at
> least the first page full returned did not even come close to
> providing an answer.

Actually, the first response to that google search was very telling.
Inputlirc is a stripped down fork of LIRC, and it's clearly not very
popular because the first page of results didn't even respond with a
project page.  I had never heard of it until you started asking about
it, and I would bet neither had most of the people in this mailing
list.  You would likely be a lot more lucky looking for help with the
standard LIRC.

Looking back, you actually had asked for help with LIRC in the past, but
you were asking about IR blasting to control an STB.  Odd because that
is one of the capability explicitly stripped out of inputlirc, and the
entire reason for its name.

> _/*I have inputlirc installed; it appears to work (using IRW)
> so, why, when I enter a channel number from the keyboard. and mythtv
> responds showing the guide entry for that channel,
> but does not change to that channel???*/_

Finally, we get a real question that can actually be answered.  Read the
user manual...

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Watch_TV#Changing_channels

You have browse mode enabled, which lets you search through the guide to
find something to watch, and then hit SELECT to change to that channel.
It is used to compensate for the fact that between tuner delays,
recording buffers, and communication due to the frontend/backend split,
it can take several seconds to change channels in MythTV, making
frequent channel changes painful.