[mythtv-users] Backend upgrade question

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 05:25:49 UTC 2011

So, I came up with a plan that I thought would work.  I built my new
machine, ran a bunch of tests to make sure that there were not hardware
problems.  Then I transferred my drives from the old machine to the new
machine.  I figured to get it working with the old installation on the new
hardware. Then I would do the upgrades from there.

So, I transferred the disks to the new machine, changed the dhcp entry on
my router to give it the same IP address as my old server, and booted it
up.  It came up fine, and everything worked, and was in the right place.
 But when I tried to connect to the backend from one of my front ends, it
connected just fine, but it couldn't find the files.  It had the recordings
in the database, but when I tried to play any of them, it said that the
files for the shows could not be found.  I checked, and the recordings
directories were mounted in the right places, and the files were there.
 When I checked out the mythbackend log file, it said that it was looking
for files that weren't there, and sure enough, the files weren't there.

So, is there something funny about moving the database like this.  Does the
filename somehow depend on some id field from the machine?  WIll this be
fixed by doing a backup and restore of the database?

Matt