[mythtv-users] OT: ATSC "omnidirectional" antenna recommendations

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 21:00:20 UTC 2011

Christopher Meredith wrote:

>All my stations are "red," according to antennaweb,

I've no idea what that means. Does "Red" mean good signal, or poor signal ?

>and are all within an arc of 8 degrees or so.

If they are within 8š then you will almost
certainly be better off with a directional
antenna. Not only do they pick up more signal,
but they reject signals from other directions.
Each antenna should have a specification which
indicates the "beam width" - which is the angle
across which it's gain is no more than 3dB below
the headline figure (3dB = 1/2 the signal). Eg,
if you had an antenna with a beam width of 8š
then with careful alignment you would pick up all
your stations, and the worse case would be
getting half-strength from the ones at the edges
(ie +/- 4š off axis). In practice, this is likely
to be a lot better than you'd get with an omni.

Also, I don't know what frequencies you use, but
over here most transmitters operate over a fairly
narrow part of the allocated spectrum. For best
results, it's best to get a "banded" aerial -
which means one tuned to the part of the spectrum
your local transmitter(s) use. A wideband aerial
works over the whole band - but tends to be "jack
of all trades, master of none" and will generally
give inferior performance compared to a banded
one.

--
Simon Hobson