[mythtv-users] reco for motherboard

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Nov 7 23:08:33 UTC 2011

On 11-11-03 06:26 PM, Doug Young wrote:

> Plusses:
> - eSata to support external disks (currently through a thermaltake
> BlackX, not immediately necessary).  If nonexistent, I can buy a
> PCIE->eSata.

Despite my long work on IDE and SATA in the kernel,
I'm now getting rather bull-ish on USB3.0 interfaces instead.
These allow hubs for large expansion capability, and are fast
enough and simple enough to make eSATA a lot less necessary.

Port-multipliers (the eSATA equivalent of a USB3 hub) are poorly
supported in Linux, a very hit and (mostly) miss proposition.

USB3 stuff generally "just works", though it does still have the
occasional toothing pain.

Cheers