[mythtv-users] Gnome 3 caution for FC15 still valid?

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Tue Nov 8 00:56:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM, <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:

> I am upgrading my MythTV setup and had to start from scratch with FC15.
> The wiki page (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora)
> has a worrisome discussion under "Notes for Gnome 3 on FC15" about how
> enabling Nvidia might cause problems with Gnome.  First, are these notes
> still valid now that the release is more mature?
>
> Second, It talks about forcing fallback mode and gives a link to
> fedoraproject.org that talks about how to do this.  Again this looks
> mighty complicated.  There is now a switch in system settings to "force
> fallback mode."  Should I set this just in case, or is that a bad idea?
>
> Once I install the new drivers I figure if I don't do the right thing I
> will have no GUI, and this problem with #$^%!@ Nvidia is one of the things
> that forced me into this whole upgrade to begin with.  So any advice would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thx,
>
> Steve
>
> I had success with ignoring that.  I just upgraded to FC15 last week.  The
only thing I can advise is to append

rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 vga=0x318

to your kernel line.  It seems to me that the page you mentioned didn't
include all of those options.  In particular, don't forget the first two.
The last one enables graphical boot, which you may or may not want.  I
wanted it so I threw it in.

After that, I had no trouble with the nVidia other than overscan, which I
finally managed to get right with the mythtv screen setup.  I'm running
Gnome.  I have a 9500GT (old, I know) but it handles things well.  I used
RPMFusion as my repo for mythtv and for nVidia drivers.  I used that repo
in Mythdora 12.23 and it served me well, so I'm sticking with it.

Jerry