[mythtv-users] Upgraded the Ubuntu 11.10 and not Myth, can't connect to MySQL

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Nov 8 14:37:07 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:55 PM, "Damian" <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Kris,
>
> Bill seems to think that the 'mysql' command is ok. Maybe that's a
> peculiarity of a MythBuntu setup?
>
> I don't think I can bring myself to wipe the OS and install afresh at
> the moment. If this carries on much longer, the family is probably going
> to campaign for a windows media centre replacement or some hardware box
> or other. If I can't get this fixed I've not got much of an argument!
>
> Thanks for everyone's help so far.
>
> Cheers
> Damian

Bill is most likely right - I run a Mandrivia backend, so things might
be different - and that is one of those things I hate about all the
different distros, the little differences.  I was helping someone with
their my.cnf file, and in my distro it is in X location, and on theirs
it is in Y... little things like that.  My distro has skip networking
enabled for some reason, so I have to turn it off - others it is off by
default (which is a good thing).  I turn on services with service daemon
start, while other distros have different ways of turning them on.

In my distro, mysqld is the daemon, while mysql is the console.  That is
why I had posted that, but Bill, I am sure has more experience and is
right.

I have mythbuntu, 10.04, but only on a frontend, and it was a 10 minute
setup and I was rolling.  I think if you ever get to the point of
wiping, maybe go to a lower version (10.04 is LTS, I believe) and give
it a shot since you will have nothing to lose at that point.

Good luck - I hope it gets resolved for you.
--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com