[mythtv-users] Gnome 3 caution for FC15 still valid?

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Tue Nov 8 18:11:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Bruce Taber <b.taber at comcast.net> wrote:

>  On 11/07/2011 07:56 PM, Jerry wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM, <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:
>

>> I am upgrading my MythTV setup and had to start from scratch with FC15.
>> The wiki page (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora)
>> has a worrisome discussion under "Notes for Gnome 3 on FC15" about how
>> enabling Nvidia might cause problems with Gnome.  First, are these notes
>> still valid now that the release is more mature?
>>
>> Second, It talks about forcing fallback mode and gives a link to
>> fedoraproject.org that talks about how to do this.  Again this looks
>> mighty complicated.  There is now a switch in system settings to "force
>> fallback mode."  Should I set this just in case, or is that a bad idea?
>>
>> Once I install the new drivers I figure if I don't do the right thing I
>> will have no GUI, and this problem with #$^%!@ Nvidia is one of the things
>> that forced me into this whole upgrade to begin with.  So any advice would
>> be appreciated.
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>  I had success with ignoring that.  I just upgraded to FC15 last week.
> The only thing I can advise is to append
>
> rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 vga=0x318
>
> to your kernel line.  It seems to me that the page you mentioned didn't
> include all of those options.  In particular, don't forget the first two.
> The last one enables graphical boot, which you may or may not want.  I
> wanted it so I threw it in.
>
> After that, I had no trouble with the nVidia other than overscan, which I
> finally managed to get right with the mythtv screen setup.  I'm running
> Gnome.  I have a 9500GT (old, I know) but it handles things well.  I used
> RPMFusion as my repo for mythtv and for nVidia drivers.  I used that repo
> in Mythdora 12.23 and it served me well, so I'm sticking with it.
>
> Jerry

>  I am having problems with Gnome 3 on Fedora 15. It has nothing to do with
> Mythtv. Xclock, xmms, etc. will cause the Xserver to segfault every time.
> The virtualbox gui console causes the problem as well. The system gets
> kicked back to a login screen. Surprisingly, starting the virtualbox VM via
> the command line runs just fine. I've had an audio file within Firefox
> cause the problem but I believe it was using xmms. The problem was every
> time Firefox started it went off to restart that tab causing the segfault.
> Firefox safe mode had to be used to break that cycle.
>
> The drivers are coming from atrpms but the binary ones that get compiled
> will do the same thing. The video card is integrated into the motherboard
> and is - VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 6100
> nForce 400] (rev a2).
>
> Fallback mode can be forced by starting System Info, select Graphics and
> set Forced Fallback Mode On. The segfaults don't seem to happen in Forced
> Fallback Mode.

> [...]
I am beginning to understand what you mean about the fallback mode.  I was
experiencing stuttering during playback and edited my xorg.conf (from
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Tearing.2FStuttering)

This brought me into fallback mode. I disabled the gnome-panel by removing
it as a required component in
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-fallback.session (your path may
vary).  That killed the annoying thing and now things are definitely
working smoother.

That's two hours I won't get back :)  Hope this helps someone.

Jerry