[mythtv-users] Upgraded the Ubuntu 11.10 and not Myth, can't connect to MySQL

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 18:21:59 UTC 2011

On 11/08/2011 07:46 AM, Damian wrote:
> Here's the results of those commands:
> damian at MythBox:~$ sudo netstat -an|grep 3306
> The last one didn't return anything.

Hi;

That should eliminate the case of some other program
using port 3306 - so returning nothing is good.

To rule out a permissions problem, put this script in
/tmp/perm.test

for STUFF in \
   /etc/hosts.* \
   /etc/mysql/conf.d \
   /etc/mysql/*.cnf \
   /usr/lib/mysql/plugin \
   /usr/sbin/mysqld \
   /usr/share/mysql \
   /var/lib/mysql \
   /var/log/mysql \
   /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock \
   /sys/devices/system/cpu/
do  /bin/echo -e "\n***** Listing $STUFF *****\n"
     ls -la $STUFF | awk '{print $1,$3,$4,$8}'
done > /tmp/my.perms

Execute it with: sudo sh /tmp/perm.test

It just does an ls of files related to mysql (taken
out of /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysql, but you should
review all the commands since this is coming from the
evil internet.)

Then go to this link: http://pastebin.com/gkDMxUQu
and copy the output from my working 11.10 machine
and save it in /tmp/working.perms

Be sure to copy from the "RAW Paste Data" section
not the section at the top!

Then type: diff /tmp/working.perms /tmp/my.perms

Since we're on the same distribution, I'd expect
no output, but I'd fix any different owner/group/
permissions.

Open a new terminal window and type: tailf /var/log/syslog
Type a few return to mark your place and then, from
your 1st window do the: sudo start mysql command.

Post the syslog output here or on pastebin.com if it
is large.

The 3 files will be removed when you restart/boot your
system.

--
Bill