[mythtv-users] Gnome 3 caution for FC15 still valid?

Steve networks1 at cox.net
Tue Nov 8 20:06:11 UTC 2011

On Nov 8, 2011, at 11:40 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:18 PM,  <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am upgrading my MythTV setup and had to start from scratch with FC15. The wiki page (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora) has a worrisome discussion under "Notes for Gnome 3 on FC15" about how enabling Nvidia might cause problems with Gnome.  First, are these notes still valid now that the release is more mature?
>
> I never liked running MythTV on top of Gnome2. I ran XFCE for a while
> and then straight openbox, now I run it on LXDE as it's a little more
> light weight than XFCE and is just enough for the kids to play or use
> it as a functional computer. Using recent nvidia drivers I've had zero
> issues with Gnome 3 on my desktop.

I am using the box only for Mythtv, and would be happy if it did just the Mythtv interface and terminal. Don't know if there's such an option. That said I've got plenty of resources, so as long as it works Gnome is OK with me.

>> Once I install the new drivers I figure if I don't do the right thing I will have no GUI, and this problem with #$^%!@ Nvidia is one of the things that forced me into this whole upgrade to begin with.  So any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Not sure how nvidia forced you to upgrade, but ok.

Long story. Basically I set up the box with FC12 and at the time there were significant issues with Nvidia. I finally got it working, then a kernel update broke it. I booted into the old version to recover which was fine for a while, then my HDPVR broke and they replaced it with a newer Rev that wouldn't work with the old FC12 version.  I will try the RPMfusion drivers and hope for the best.