[mythtv-users] Upgraded the Ubuntu 11.10 and not Myth, can't connect to MySQL

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Tue Nov 8 23:47:42 UTC 2011

On 09/11/2011, at 2:22 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

[snip long and involved, but going nowhere]

> Bill seems to think that the 'mysql' command is ok. Maybe that's a
> peculiarity of a MythBuntu setup?
>
> I don't think I can bring myself to wipe the OS and install afresh at
> the moment. If this carries on much longer, the family is probably going
> to campaign for a windows media centre replacement or some hardware box
> or other. If I can't get this fixed I've not got much of an argument!
>
> Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Damian
for me installing a complete mythbuntu system is an hours work, I struggle to emphasize :-)

from localhost can you
mysql -uroot -ppassword

if not that is bad

from another host can you
mysql -hanother-host -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

ubuntu makes a stupid deal of setting the password to somEutter2345#$%^Rubbish you must use that. At install time it tells you

if not THAT is bad.

Qt must have mysql drivers. I'd expect that this is something you do not need to worry about, but it is worth considering
Error messages will be precis of "Can't Connect to database" "Strange"

What do you see?
James