[mythtv-users] Problem with EIT on HdhomerunHD

Per Kofod per.s.kofod at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 09:11:33 UTC 2011

On 11/09/2011 05:39 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/9/2011 03:44, Per Kofod wrote:
>> Looks like I found a workaround:
>>
>> found this experimental driver, that makes the hdhomerun work like a
>> normal dvb device:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dvbhdhomerun/wiki/FAQ
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvbhdhomerun/files/
>>
>> I am testing that solution right now, and it looks like this is
>> working for
>> me.
>
> The HDHomeRun dvb drivers are not so much experimental, as purpose
> built.  They are intended for use with TVHeadend, and only implement
> that which TVHeadend needs.  They are an incomplete implementation of
> the DVB API, and can cause problems with other applications.
>
>> On 11/08/2011 11:18 AM, Per Kofod wrote:
>>> Due to the different methode of tuning I have configured two different
>>> video sources, one for the two PCI tuner cards, and one for the
>>> hdhomerun
>>> tuners.
>>>
>>> The problem is, that if I enable EIT scan on the video source for
>>> the hdhomerun
>>> I get my backend log filled with messages like this:
>>>
>>> I have tried to rescan the channels several times, with no change to
>>> this problem,
>>> EIT Scan works fine from my two PCI card tuners. All tuners are
>>> connected to the
>>> same DVB-C source (Danish cable provider "YouSee").
>
> If your PCI tuners are capable of receiving EIT data, that means they
> are digital DVB-C tuners.  Connected to the same physical DVB-C
> source, they should be sharing the Video Source in MythTV.  They may
> be different tuner types, but they use the same tuning information.
> If EIT scanning fails for the HDHR, disable it, and let the PCI tuners
> pick up the slack.
Yes my PCI tuners are DVB-C tuners, and no using the default HDHR driver
It does not work connecting the HDHR tuners to the same source
as the PCI tuners, I tried that when I did the original installation, I
guess it is because the HDHR uses a different method of tuning.
(Though I have not retried after installing the latest software
upgrades; might work now, as I found that I was now able to do an
automatic scanning on the HDHR, that was also not possible in the beginning)

If however I use the dvbhdhomerun driver for accessing the HDHR tuners,
It does work connecting to the same source.

I did disable EIT on the source for the HDHR; but then I was not able to
record anything from the programs listing on the HDHR
tuners, if I tried scheduling more than two programs at the same time, I
got conflicts; the only way I was able to record from
the HDHR was by doing a manual schedule. (Though Live viewing from the
HDHR worked fine)

I found a discussion at the Silicondust forum about the EIT problem with
the HDHR, looks like the cause
is, that my cable provider sends all the information in TID 0x41; where
the HDHR firmware expects it
in TID 0x40. Silicondust claims, that my cable provider is not following
the standards, and my cable provider
claims, that this is according to the "Nordic standards". So Silicondust
claims, that it is not their fault; but
it does work with equipment from all other vendors.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9868&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
<http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9868&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0>