[mythtv-users] S-L-O-W DB ops

networks1 at cox.net networks1 at cox.net
Fri Nov 11 23:18:08 UTC 2011

Greetings. I've just gotten finished with migrating mythtv to a new setup (FC12 -> FC15).  I restored the db from the old setup, but now both setup and mythfilldatabase are running really slow.  It takes like an hour for mythfilldatabase to run, and there's a long pause after it says ...written to STDOUT at which time the disk runs straight time.

I searched around and found a thread by someone else with this problem, and people were speculating that it had something to do with the EXT4 settings, but the thing is AFAIK I'm running the same (default) settings as on the old setup with partitions and sizes as recommended in the wiki, which  ran fine.  I've applied the suggested settings to /etc/my.cnf, viz

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
user=mysql
# Disabling symbolic-links is recommended to prevent assorted security risks
symbolic-links=0
key_buffer = 16M
table_cache = 128
sort_buffer_size = 2M