[mythtv-users] EXT4 vs XFS

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sat Nov 12 04:39:57 UTC 2011

On 11-11-11 09:08 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
> Way back when, I switched my recording drives to ext4.  I am considering
> converting them back to xfs (I am not sure about the whole “ext doesn’t get
> fragmented debate”, with no real decent way to defragment them), but not sure if
> there’s any merit to doing it.  Anyone have any input?

xfs is less prone to fragmentation than ext4,
particularly when mounted with a suitable allocsize=nnn parameter.
Not that fragmentation actually matters much.

More important, is that xfs behaves far better than ext4
with very large (many GB in size) files, particularly when
deleting them.

I've tried JFS, ext3, ext4, and xfs for my recordings partitions,
and xfs always wins, big time.

Cheers