[mythtv-users] EXT4 vs XFS

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 12 16:50:03 UTC 2011

On 11/11/2011 09:26 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Way back when, I switched my recording drives to ext4.  I am considering
>> converting them back to xfs (I am not sure about the whole “ext doesn’t get
>> fragmented debate”, with no real decent way to defragment them), but not
>> sure if there’s any merit to doing it.  Anyone have any input?
> They both get fragmented however I am not sure I would worry about
> this so much in the context of mythtv usage.

At least when it comes to recording directories, presuming you have at
least as many recording file systems as you'll ever have concurrent
recordings and you use an appropriate Storage Group scheduler (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler )
such as Balanced I/O or Combination (basically meaning not Balanced free
space and (for those on unstable/development) not Balanced percent free
space).

Mike