[mythtv-users] "Connection to master server timed out", all IP settings appear correct. (Trunk version)

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Sun Nov 13 14:27:09 UTC 2011

Op 13-11-11 15:57, Jos Hoekstra schreef:
> Op 13-11-2011 4:02, Jelle De Loecker schreef:
>> I had to reinstall my backend server from scratch. Previous OS was
>> Ubuntu 10.04 I believe, now I'm using 11.10.
>> I believe I'm using commit 47d52964f9946e90d9d8edc4392107b338270491 (I
>> pulled it a few.. err 6-7 hours ago)
>>
>> The backend is running on ip address 192.168.1.2
>>
>> This is what has been set up in mythtv-setup:
>>
>> Local backend
>> IP-address: 192.168.1.2
>> Port: 6543
>>
>> Master backend
>> IP-address: 192.168.1.2
>> Port: 6543
>>

>> This is what I get when I try to open the frontend on the backend
>> machine itself (which used to work perfectly)
>>
>> 2011-11-13 04:51:46.998389 I  MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend
>> server: 192.168.1.2:6543 (try 1 of 1)
>>
>> 2011-11-13 04:51:46.998833 E  Connection to master server timed out.
>>                Either the server is down or the master server settings
>>                in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP address
>>
>> 2011-11-13 04:51:46.998839 C  Unable to determine master backend time
>> zone settings.  If those settings differ from local settings, some
>> functionality will fail.
>>

>> I also get the same result on a remote machine.
>> So it can create a connection to the database, but not to the mythtv server
>>
>> Further disclaimers:
>> The "bind" option in mysql's my.cnf file has been disabled.
>> The mythtv user is a global one, and can be used from anywhere (not just
>> the local machine)
>>
>> So, does anyone have any idea what could be the problem and how to solve it?
>>
> Just stating the obvious, but the backend is running? What do the logs
> tell you?
> Mythbuntu provides automatic scripts for starting etc did you copy those?

Problem kind of solved.

The backend was running, or at least: I thought it was!
Apparently mythtv is having problems with my dvb-s2 capture card. I only
noticed because mythtv-setup froze when trying to select it.

So I guess mythbackend always froze when trying to open it, too.

Choosing another capture card "fixed" the problem.

Now I only need to find out *why* mythtv can't open my capture card.