[mythtv-users] EXT4 vs XFS

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Sun Nov 13 17:19:10 UTC 2011

>>> I've tried JFS, ext3, ext4, and xfs for my recordings partitions,
>>> and xfs always wins, big time.
>>
>> How can a filesystem wins "big time" over another when it comes to
>> recordings...
>>
>> And one that require manual checking at that...
>>
>> I would assume that really, for mythtv use at the end of the day, it
>> doesn't matter much...
>
> Yup, back before ext4 was available and ext3 had an issue with slow
> deletes I used xfs. Ever since ext4 was considered stable I've been
> using it with zero issues.
>
> Richard

I switched to XFS yesterday, and I will say one thing I noticed immediately.
The 5 - 10 second pause I have come to live with when Live TV crosses from
one program to another (i.e. Watching NFL Today from 12 - 1.   At 1 when it
switches to the NFL Game, there's a 5 - 10 second "freeze" while Myth ends
using the first file and starts up the next one) is reduced to a 1/2 second
"blip".