[mythtv-users] MythTV Companion for iPad Update

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 04:25:12 UTC 2011

<Senseless self promotion follows>

Hi all,

For those following the "android API" thread, I sort of let the lid off my
new iPad application for MythTV .25.  MythTV Companion is a full featured
control, library browser, recording manager, and (in the near future)
streaming frontend for MythTV.  It takes advantage of our new API to stream
recording and video metadata, imagery, scheduling, setup, and guide info to
a native iOS application.  Best of all, because of the nature of our
backend uPnP server and API, there is absolutely no configuration required
in most cases.  Backends and frontends are autodetected, and no MySQL
usernames, passwords, arcane setup, or other steps are necessary.  You
simply fire up the application and go.  I'll say it again because it bears
clarifying:  There is absolutely no setup of any kind required, nor are
there any additional software requirements on any of your PCs-- everything
you see here is native to a out of the box MythTV setup.  The only
requirement will be MythTV frontend and backends running .25 (upon release).

The following video is an up-to-the-minute walkthrough of what the app is
capable of today, though there's quite a lot more on the way.  I'll keep
quiet on the upcoming changes, but suffice to say you ain't seen nothing
yet.  ;)

http://vimeo.com/32063038

Some FAQs:

* I will probably put this on the App Store when I am done.  I have
purchased a iOS dev license.
* License is TBD, but will not be GPL.
* Cost, if any, is TBD-- I would like to recoup the cost of the dev
license/iPad, but I may just make the app free and see if people would be
willing to donate a bit to offset these development costs.
* Documentation on the new Services API is available here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Services_API
* The Services API framework was written by David Blain, and has been
substantially extended by a number of us since then to include lots of new
services and methods, including Frontend state checking and control,
capture card configuration, and a bunch of other goodies.  It is the basis
for our work on the HTTP Backend setup rewrite, due in a future version of
MythTV.

Enjoy!

Robert McNamara
MythTV