[mythtv-users] EXT4 vs XFS

Robert Verspuy robert at exa-omicron.nl
Mon Nov 14 07:46:54 UTC 2011

Op 13-11-11 18:44, Andrew McCauley schreef:

> I am building a new myth be/fe today.  Has anyone seen any downsides
> to using XFS for the recording file system?

I'm also replacing my current mythtv pc (be and fe for the last 2 years)
with a new setup (separate be and fe).
In the last 2 years I've used XFS on a LVM, spread over 2 x 1 TB disks.
Total size of the /video partition is 1.6 TB.
Because I'm recording IPTV from HD channels I have movies which create
files in order of 15 - 20 GB.

A week ago, I had some issues with one harddisk (suddenly MBR and
partition table were gone, nothing related to XFS).
After rebuilding the MBR and partition table, everything appeared to work.
I did a fsck on the ext3 / partition, it found some issues, which could
be fixed.
But for the /video partition the xfs check script ran for a minute or
so, to be crashed.

It appears that (at least for the xfs in fedora 14 on a system with 2 GB
memory), xfs_repair can run out of memory when you have very large files.

See also the http://linux.die.net/man/8/xfs_check

> If the filesystem is very large (has many files) then xfs_check might
> run out of memory. In this case the message
>
> out of memory
> is printed.

Regards,
Robert