[mythtv-users] EXT4 vs XFS

Robert Verspuy robert at exa-omicron.nl
Mon Nov 14 14:45:40 UTC 2011

Op 14-11-11 15:35, Richard Shaw schreef:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Robert Verspuy<robert at exa-omicron.nl>  wrote:
>> Op 13-11-11 18:44, Andrew McCauley schreef:
>>
>> I am building a new myth be/fe today.  Has anyone seen any downsides to
>> using XFS for the recording file system?
>>
>> I'm also replacing my current mythtv pc (be and fe for the last 2 years)
>> with a new setup (separate be and fe).
>> In the last 2 years I've used XFS on a LVM, spread over 2 x 1 TB disks.
>> Total size of the /video partition is 1.6 TB.
>> Because I'm recording IPTV from HD channels I have movies which create files
>> in order of 15 - 20 GB.
> Wouldn't it be better to format both disks XFS directly and skip the
> LVM overhead? Then setup each as separate recording groups so the
> backend will spread the load between them.
When I initially installed that pc, it had only 1 disk, and mythtv did
not have Or I didn't know at that time that mythtv could spread files
over multiple locations. I always install my files in LVM to have an
easy upgrade / expand path with new disks in the future.

By the way the load of writing and reading files by mythtv is not that
high, so any lvm overhead on this pc is not noticable (for me :)

Regard,
Robert

--
*Exa-Omicron*