[mythtv-users] MythTV Companion for iPad Update

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:55:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Robert McNamara <
> robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The following video is an up-to-the-minute walkthrough of what the app is
>> capable of today, though there's quite a lot more on the way.  I'll keep
>> quiet on the upcoming changes, but suffice to say you ain't seen nothing
>> yet.  ;)
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/32063038
>

> Looks good - any chance you'll add a more traditional "browse" mode for
> videos? I find search a poor match for the way I choose movies to watch.

Unlikely.  My general design philosophy for this application is a) to use
as many of the common user interface paradigms of the platform as possible,
and b) to condense the feature set down to be as simple as possible while
still meeting 90% of required functionality for most people.  Adding a
bunch of browse modes, recording options, widgets, toggles, and views just
turns it into an unusable mess.  This is also evidenced in the recording
rule popup-- My choice to only offer recording rule type and post
processing is intentional-- the user has many, many other options if they
feel the needto manipulate each and every value.  But for the user who just
wants to set a recording rule and save it, this is the fastest and
friendliest possible way.  The level of complexity is designed for my SO
(and yours and any other non-technical user) to be able to pick it up and
naturally intuit how to use everything-- not to reimplement every control
from a full frontend.

So there's more than you probably wanted to know about that.  ;)

> Also, how well does it cope with poor metadata? The data I get here in
> Australia frequently gets contradictory, poor or nonexistent titles and
> descriptions, so pre-0.25's metadata grabbing script comes up empty handed
> as often as not.

It doesn't show anything you don't have.  Really, though, all it shows in
most cases is Title, Subtitle, Season, Episode, Plot, Channel, and
recording time, as well as any artwork you have assigned to it.  If all of
those things are non-unique, you'd be left with Starttime/chanid as the
only unique key-- but then again, that's no different than what you'd have
on a full frontend, either.

Robert