[mythtv-users] Seriously need help fixing new setup

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 15 15:46:59 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 08:33 PM, networks1 at cox.net wrote:

> ---- Mike Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>  wrote:
>
> =============
> On 13/11/11 23:11, networks1 at cox.net wrote:
>>
>> 2011-11-13 15:56:57.654 Already running as 'root'
>>
> This is probably not a good idea. It might not be the problem you are attempting
> to solve, but it's almost certain to introduce others.
>
> For example, any recordings you might make like this could have owner root,
> group root. When you finally get your system fixed, you might not be able to
> read these any more.
>
> Both your back end and your front end should /probably/ be running as user 'mythtv'.
>

 > Right.  I must have accidentally been logged in as su when I
 > installed it.  Not sure how to fix this, except to un/reinstall.
 > Maybe that would be a good idea anyway given that everything is so
 > screwed up.

Mythbackend runs as 'root' under Fedora and all recordings are root:root
with -rw-r--r-- permissions. (The .png files are -rw-rw-rw-).

You should not need to re-install. This looks more like a mysql access
problem.

Did you perchance change the name of your computer when you upgraded to
Fedora 15? The error printout in your original message shows a
'localhost value' of 'mythtv.mythtv'. This is weird. Fix your
/etc/sysconfig/network file to add a
"HOSTNAME='my-mythbox-computer-name'" line. Fix your /etc/hosts file to
have a '127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost' line.

Do you have multiple (differing) copies of config.xml and mysql.txt
littering your file space? It looks like you are using /etc/mythtv for
these, in which case any others should be symlinks to that folder.

Does a 'mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg' get you to the 'mysql>'
prompt?

There are at least 2 threads in the last 6 weeks exploring the deduction
process for fixing failed mysql access.

Your config.xml file is munged. Looks like the opening '<' is missing.
It should look like:

<Configuration>
   <UPnP>
     <MythFrontend>
       <DefaultBackend>
         <DBHostName>192.168.1.54</DBHostName>
         <DBUserName>mythtv</DBUserName>
         <DBPassword>mythtv</DBPassword>
         <DBName>mythconverg</DBName>
         <DBPort>3306</DBPort>
       </DefaultBackend>
     </MythFrontend>
     <UDN>
       <MediaRenderer>afc0f4da-aa55-4221-a0ba-40252ee7839c</MediaRenderer>
     </UDN>
   </UPnP>
</Configuration>

Then shut down the backend, and run mythtv-setup. Run through every
section right to the end. Some of the setup sections do not write the
entered values to the database if you exit in the middle of the section.

There are at least 2 threads in the last 6 weeks exploring the deduction
process for fixing failed mysql access. Both Mike Dean and I (Geoff
Newbury) chimed in. Go to gossamer-threads and search the archive using
our names plus 'mysql' and 'access' and sort by newest first.

Geoff