[mythtv-users] HD Video Stuttering

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 16:49:44 UTC 2011

I'm having an issue with my MythFrontEnd stuttering on high bandwidth
files.  It seems to be mostly m2ts files.  The video slows up, and the
audio drops.  In a second or more everything returns to normal.  I think
I've traced this down to a vdpaubuffersize issue.  I have added the custom
filter to increase the buffer size to 32.  It happened again after I did
that, although it did take longer this time around.  I also added the
vdpauhqscaling, but I read that could cause an issue.  I removed hq scaling
and am testing it now.  OK, it just happened again.  But this time it
didn't drop any audio.  The video just stuttered.  Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks!

Attached is the log.  Hardware:

Intel E7400
4GB of RAM
nVidia GT 430, HDMI video/audio to a Denon AVR-3312CI (successfully
decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS MasterHD) which is connected to my Samsung
LN52A650 tv
Mythbuntu 10.10 x64 using JYA's repos:

lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
 core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        10.10
Codename:       maverick

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  260.19.06  Mon Sep 13
04:29:19 PDT 2010
GCC version:  gcc version 4.4.5 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu5)

I'm confused on the nVidia version.  I thought JYA had an up to date
version of nVidia drivers.  I think I'm several revs behind and not sure
how to update.

mythfrontend --version
xprop:  unable to open display ''
MythTV Version   : v0.24.1-271-g1f83c0d
MythTV Branch    : jyavenard/backports/fixes/0.24
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20110505-1
QT Version       : 4.7.0
Options compiled in:
 linux profile using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput
using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
using_live using_mheg