[mythtv-users] UK recording Freeview HD while watching an SD program

Simon Jones sijones2010 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 20:52:35 UTC 2011

> I had a look at some of the CPU bios settings and disabled CPU TM function,
> Execute-Disable Bit Capability and Bluetooth (just because I don't use it),
> plus I flashed the Seagate Momentus XT to the latest firmware because
> searching around the web there seemed to be some corruption issues under
> Linux with this drive.
>
> So far everything looks good and testing recording with HD while playback SD
> seems to be working fine. The set-up seems faster as well and using slightly
> less resources. I have also noticed a load of USB errors in dmesg which I
> used to get have stopped appearing as well and boot-up seems a lot faster.
>
> With top I get:
>
> FE: 7% CPU / 2.1% RAM
> BE: 8% CPU / 5.0% RAM
>
> when recording HD and SD playback (VDPAU w/ deinterlacing).
>
> thanks for all replies and i'll re-post if things haven't improved after
> normal usuage.

Just in case you do get issues, this is a script to increase the gov,
I use this in mythcpuincrease.sh and set it to be run on the playback
event.

#!/bin/bash

for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    do
          [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue
          echo -n performance > $CPUFREQ
done

Then on the stop playback event I have the below in mythcpudecrease.sh

#!/bin/bash

for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    do
          [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue
          echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ
done

Just ideas for you.

PS root has to do these so you have to use sudo in myth events command
line and put a line in sudoers to allow mythtv user to run the scripts
without password.