[mythtv-users] UK recording Freeview HD while watching an SD program

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 07:02:53 UTC 2011

On 15 November 2011 20:52, Simon Jones <sijones2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had a look at some of the CPU bios settings and disabled CPU TM function,
>> Execute-Disable Bit Capability and Bluetooth (just because I don't use it),
>> plus I flashed the Seagate Momentus XT to the latest firmware because
>> searching around the web there seemed to be some corruption issues under
>> Linux with this drive.
>>
>> So far everything looks good and testing recording with HD while playback SD
>> seems to be working fine. The set-up seems faster as well and using slightly
>> less resources. I have also noticed a load of USB errors in dmesg which I
>> used to get have stopped appearing as well and boot-up seems a lot faster.
>>
>> With top I get:
>>
>> FE: 7% CPU / 2.1% RAM
>> BE: 8% CPU / 5.0% RAM
>>
>> when recording HD and SD playback (VDPAU w/ deinterlacing).
>>
>> thanks for all replies and i'll re-post if things haven't improved after
>> normal usuage.
>
> Just in case you do get issues, this is a script to increase the gov,
> I use this in mythcpuincrease.sh and set it to be run on the playback
> event.
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>    do
>          [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue
>          echo -n performance > $CPUFREQ
> done
>
> Then on the stop playback event I have the below in mythcpudecrease.sh
>

> #!/bin/bash
>
> for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>    do
>          [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue
>          echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ
> done
>
> Just ideas for you.
>
> PS root has to do these so you have to use sudo in myth events command
> line and put a line in sudoers to allow mythtv user to run the scripts
> without password.

i always thought the atoms dont use the govenor. afaik, atoms dont
have throttling abilities, thus run at 100% of their power all the
time. the ion GPU is the bit that can throttle though.
i too have an atom 330, and i'd say its just far to slow to be of any
use as a BE.
also, it's not just cpu time at question here, it's also memory
bandwidth. A month or 2 ago, i remember a thread here reguarding the
atom and memory bandwidth being an issue - are you sure it's running
in dual-channel mode? (it should say at POST)