[mythtv-users] Low end hardware/software recommendations

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Wed Nov 16 16:51:43 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:21 AM, "jedi" <jedi at mishnet.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:22:44PM -0500, faginbagin wrote:
> > On 2:59 PM, Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:
> [deletia]
> > >   4. I guess Netflix streaming isn't currently supported on Linux. One
> > > solution I've seen is to run Windows/IE in VMware Player. Would the
> > > Windows VM be able to use the ION's hardware video decoding or would
> > > it fall back on doing everything on the CPU? If the latter, is the CPU
> > > fast enough for that? Would I need 4GB RAM for that setup?
> >
> > I would plan on a dual boot configuration. It's not hard to do. Install Windows first, then shrink the Windows partition using ntfsresize (part of the ntfsutils
>
>     You can get Netflix streaming devices cheap. It probably makes more
>     sense
> from a usability perspect to just use one of those rather than dual
> booting
> between Linux and Windows.

Yup, the new Roku is $49 shipped from Amazon, plays Netflix, Amazon,
Hulu+, and more (300+ channels, I believe at this point), and there are
a few of us that use a private MythTV channel on the Roku that acts as a
front end using hooks in mythweb to play any h264/mp4 transcoded files
in Myth (I have a proper front end, and two Rokus in my house).

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com