[mythtv-users] LiveTV problem

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 21 03:34:43 UTC 2011

On 11/20/2011 03:57 PM, Kris B. wrote:
> On Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:42 PM, "Stefan D"
> <raptorjr08 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>    Well, i continue to report problems.
>    I'm using LiveTV, i know that it's not very popular and no dev
>    is using it. But i'm thinking that this could maybe be a
>    problem to others too.
>    It started when i was tuning to a channel i thought i had
>    access to, but obviously didn't. In the log attached following
>    things is happening.
>    1. First i tune to a channel that i have access to, works
>    fine.
>    2. Then i tune to this unavaliable channel, Myth fails after a
>    while unable to open program buffer.
>    3. Then i start LiveTV again and Myth tunes to the last
>    working channel, the channel that worked in step 1. This now
>    fails.
>    4. I try to start LiveTV again, still same channel as in step
>    1, still fails.
>    5. I restart the frontend, and now Myth is able to tune to the
>    channel in step 1 again.
>    So the problem is that when Myth fails to tune to a channel it
>    can't tune to a valid channel unless the frontend is
>    restarted.
>    Maybe this could be a issue to others too that don't use
>    LiveTV?
>

> This happens to me, too, when a channel is flaky.  The workaround
> (other than don't have flaky channels) is to go into mythweb(but
> maybe I am wrong) or mythtv-setup and change the last channel you
> were on to a different channel that works.  Sometimes I can when
> trying to go back into LiveTV put on a differnet channel really
> quick (lets say 45.1 was the bad channel, if I type 2.1 as it is
> mythweb/mythtv-setup...

Here is a rather quick and dirty script *WHICH MESSES DIRECTLY WITH YOUR
DATABASE*. It re-sets all your tuners to a 'good' channel number. Exit
LiveTV and run from this from a console. I call it 'startchan-fix' The
dangerous lines have been commented out. If you cannot exit LiveTV then
you will have to kill the frontend, and then run the script before
re-starting the frontend.
Adjust as required for your user, password and mythtv database name.

However this script messes with your database and it may be dangerous to
your sanity or even the WAF score in your house. The dog may bark at you
and your hair may turn grey, if it has not already. YMMV UAYOR.

**********************
#!/bin/bash
Channel1=42
Channel2=102_1
#echo 'update cardinput set startchan = '$Channel1' where cardid = '1' >
/var/tmp/startchanfix
#echo 'update cardinput set startchan = '$Channel2' where cardid = '3' >
/var/tmp/startchanfix

#echo "Setting Channel to   "$Channel1"    on Tuner  1"
#echo "Setting Channel to   "$Channel2"    on Tuner  3"
#mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < /var/tmp/startchanfix
#rm -f /var/tmp/startchanfix

Geoff