[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 11.10 Upgrade

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 06:26:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Just to be what I hope will be a final follow-up

> > From: colin.mc151 at hotmail.com
> > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:22:16 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 11.10 Upgrade
> > > From: colin.mc151 at hotmail.com
> > > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > > Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 14:41:26 -0400
> > > Subject: [mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 11.10 Upgrade
> > > Small note, Mythbuntu 11.10 is out and I am doing the upgrade on my
> two MythTV boxes (a living room backend/frontend box and a bedroom frontend
> only box). Bottom line, issues on boxes....
> > >
> > > On both boxes, issues getting X to start. After rebooting I can do a
> <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F4> log in to a BASH prompt type "startx" and all is well
> there, but that is not being handled properly automatically.
> >
> > Okay, a big thank you to user superm1 in the Ubuntu forums the way to
> >
> > fix this part is to enter the following:
> >

> > $ sudo su
> >
> > # apt-get update
> >
> > # apt-get upgrade
> >
> > # apt-get remove unity-greeter
> >
> > # apt-get install lightdm
> >
> > # cd /etc/lightdm/
> >
> > # mv lightdm.conf lightdm.conf.old
> >
> > # pico lightdm.conf
> >

> > In the lightdm.conf file put the following:
> >

> > [SeatDefaults]
> >
> > autologin-guest=false
> >
> > autologin-user=<<your MythTV user ID, ie: superm1 or whatever>>
> >
> > autologin-user-timeout=0
> >
> > autologin-session=lightdm-autologin
> >
> > user-session=mythbuntu
> >
> > allow-guest=false
> >
> > > On the frontend only box, there are audio issues (read, no audio) and
> image quality problems with HD recordings.
> >

> > There are still audio issues on the frontend box...
>
> Audio issues have been fixed by an update. Video issue on playing back HD
> recordings was fixed by changing the playback settings so that libmpeg2 is
> NOT used for HD playback. None od these were major issues, but they were
> big enough to annoy.
>
> > > I'll post more as I get to the bottom of this.
> > >

> > > Colin McGregor

Ok, I know i'm digging long dead posts out of the archives to post this but
I HAD to reply with a THANK YOU to you Colin, and to the original person
who posted the solution to the Xwindows not coming up issue you've reposted
here.

Just upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 this afternoon and I ran into the "nope,
XWindows won't boot" issue you mention above.  The solution you posted
worked flawlessly.  You just saved me a complete re-install of both my
Front end and back end machines with a 3 minute procedure.

You and the Ubuntu list rock.

--Doug