[mythtv-users] LiveTV problem

Stefan D raptorjr08 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 07:07:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:34 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On 11/20/2011 03:57 PM, Kris B. wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:42 PM, "Stefan D"
> > <raptorjr08 at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >    Well, i continue to report problems.
> >    I'm using LiveTV, i know that it's not very popular and no dev
> >    is using it. But i'm thinking that this could maybe be a
> >    problem to others too.
> >    It started when i was tuning to a channel i thought i had
> >    access to, but obviously didn't. In the log attached following
> >    things is happening.
> >    1. First i tune to a channel that i have access to, works
> >    fine.
> >    2. Then i tune to this unavaliable channel, Myth fails after a
> >    while unable to open program buffer.
> >    3. Then i start LiveTV again and Myth tunes to the last
> >    working channel, the channel that worked in step 1. This now
> >    fails.
> >    4. I try to start LiveTV again, still same channel as in step
> >    1, still fails.
> >    5. I restart the frontend, and now Myth is able to tune to the
> >    channel in step 1 again.
> >    So the problem is that when Myth fails to tune to a channel it
> >    can't tune to a valid channel unless the frontend is
> >    restarted.
> >    Maybe this could be a issue to others too that don't use
> >    LiveTV?
> >

> > This happens to me, too, when a channel is flaky.  The workaround
> > (other than don't have flaky channels) is to go into mythweb(but
> > maybe I am wrong) or mythtv-setup and change the last channel you
> > were on to a different channel that works.  Sometimes I can when
> > trying to go back into LiveTV put on a differnet channel really
> > quick (lets say 45.1 was the bad channel, if I type 2.1 as it is
> > mythweb/mythtv-setup...
>
> Here is a rather quick and dirty script *WHICH MESSES DIRECTLY WITH YOUR
> DATABASE*. It re-sets all your tuners to a 'good' channel number. Exit
> LiveTV and run from this from a console. I call it 'startchan-fix' The
> dangerous lines have been commented out. If you cannot exit LiveTV then
> you will have to kill the frontend, and then run the script before
> re-starting the frontend.
> Adjust as required for your user, password and mythtv database name.
>
> However this script messes with your database and it may be dangerous to
> your sanity or even the WAF score in your house. The dog may bark at you
> and your hair may turn grey, if it has not already. YMMV UAYOR.
>
> **********************
> #!/bin/bash
> Channel1=42
> Channel2=102_1
> #echo 'update cardinput set startchan = '$Channel1' where cardid = '1' >
> /var/tmp/startchanfix
> #echo 'update cardinput set startchan = '$Channel2' where cardid = '3' >
> /var/tmp/startchanfix
>
> #echo "Setting Channel to   "$Channel1"    on Tuner  1"
> #echo "Setting Channel to   "$Channel2"    on Tuner  3"
> #mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < /var/tmp/startchanfix
> [...]

Thank you but i don't think that would help. Myth is already on a good
channel, but since the previous tune failed, Myth can't tune to the good
channel unless i restart the frontend.

Lets say channel 1 is good, if i try to tune to the bad channel 10, channel
1 will fail afterwards. Doesn't matter that it was a good channel before
because something is messed up in Myth that makes it impossible to tune.
Maybe it would work to tune to another good channel instead of restarting
Myth, haven't tried that yet. But a script the sets a specific channel
won't work because it all depends on which channel i was on before Myth
tried to tune to the bad channel.

/Stefan