[mythtv-users] Seriously need help fixing new setup

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 21 15:26:19 UTC 2011

On 11/21/2011 07:42 AM, steve wrote:
> On 11/20/2011 8:57 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> I have run the setup program, all the way through as you suggest,
>>> however as I said in an earlier post there is something weird going on
>>> with that and frontend where there are getting bogged down.  For setup
>>> that means when I get done with a section it sometimes does not always
>>> finish the section and escape to get back to the main menu, it goes to a
>>> blank beige screen, sits there for a while, then writes the time in a
>>> small white box at the lower right and puts empty small white box at the
>>> center top of the screen.  This is not normal judging by past setups.
>>> It sits there with no disk activity that I can tell.  After a while I
>>> get tired of waiting and hit escape to get back to the menu.  Sometimes
>>> it does that and sometimes it exits out completely.  Maybe this is why
>>> the input setup is not getting written.
>> You should not have to (nor should you) 'escape' from any section of the
>> setup program. Use the 'Next' and 'Finish' buttons in the bottom right.
>> If any page hangs, it probably means that mythtv-setup is trying to
>> contact the mysqld server. The setup program basically just captures
>> your selections and writes to the database.
>>
> On both capture cards and input connections, when you enter you get a
> list of the connections and a link to create new ones and delete old
> ones.  When you create a new one or edit an existing one, there is a
> finish button, but it takes you back to the list.  The only way out of
> those list screens is to hit escape.  This is where the strange behavior
> I described occurs.

I think we were talking about different things. You have to escape from
the front page (the numbered list 1. General etc). You use 'Finish' to
return from the General page. You escape from the first page of the
other pages, but 'Finish' from most of the sub-pages of those sections.
I was assuming that you had escaped out of one of the General pages,
since those pages are the ones which deal with the mysql setup, since we
were not discussing capture cards etc.

The settings in General have to be correct before moving on to any other
section can make any sense: the mysql setup has to be working correctly
as the very first step

Geoff