[mythtv-users] Seriously need help fixing new setup

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 21 22:07:44 UTC 2011

On 11/21/2011 11:37 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/20/2011 10:57 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> On 11/19/2011 02:45 PM, steve wrote:
>>> I can connect the mysql/mythconverg using the mysql command line
>>> client.  I opened up the settings table and had a look.  Some relevant
>>> entries are:
>>>
>>> BackendServerIP    127.0.0.1    mythtv
>>> BackendServerPort    6543    mythtv
>>> BackendStatusPort    6544    mythtv
>>> SecurityPin    0000    mythtv
>>> MasterServerIP    127.0.0.1
>>> MasterServerPort
>>>
>>> I also deleted the ICEauthority per Mike's suggestion.
>>>
>>> Thanks to you both for the suggestions.  This is frustrating, because I
>>> have gotten MythTV working on two other setups in the past and strange
>>> things are happening that AFAIK I am not causing.
>> Hah! There is no hostname associated with the MasterServerIP setting.
>> (Or is that a cut-n-paste error?)
>
> That is correct--there shouldn't be a hostname associated with
> MasterServerIP.  And this is why we don't recommend directly editing the
> database data, because if you change that, it will break all of MythTV.  :)
>
> As I said--and as Geoff confirmed (and actually described how to fix) in
> the other half of this thread--first step is to fix the host name change.

"> That is correct--there shouldn't be a hostname associated with
 > MasterServerIP."

Huh??  Interesting. I have four standalone myth setups atm (including
the F16 setup presently being poked and prodded in a virtual on the
laptop). All of them have a host entry for the MasterServerIP row (along
with the IP address of course). In all cases, the IP and hostname are
also paired in the relevant /etc/hosts file.

I have never directly entered the hostname into the db.

I do admit to having *changed* it in a mass amendment when 'porting' the
database from the home box onto this desktop. I got lazy and just
grabbed everything on the home box and copied into place. After changing
the 2 IP instances and all of the hostnames, myth was quite happy to
start and run. It thought that the tuners and a lot of recordings had
suddenly gone missing but was fine with that.

Not that it makes any difference, but I am a little surprised. Having
the IP address makes the name surperflous, while having the name inserts
a dependency on their being a good /etc/hosts file, or a DNS server
available. But both is belt and braces....??

Geoff