[mythtv-users] Is this a failing drive?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Nov 22 04:31:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> I forgot to mention, I ran memtest86.  I showed no errors after 5 passes (it
> ran for about 4 hours).

That's a good sign, but definitely not conclusive. About 3 or 4 years
ago, I had a system that was locking up on me several times a week. I
had ran memtest on it and let it go for a few passes, and found
nothing. After over a month of dealing with the issue (and lots of
debugging, rebuilding, hardware swapping, etc), I finally found that
one of the memory sockets on the motherboard was bad and was
generating sporadic errors. In order to detect it, I had to run
memtest86 for 24 hours, and it didn't detect the error until something
like the 10th or 15th pass. Once I was able to detect which address
ranges were encountering the error, I was able to have memtest86 scan
a specific address range (to make a pass run much faster), and sure
enough it was always the same couple of address ranges that failed,
but only about 5% of the time. And interestingly enough, they only
ever failed on a couple particular tests (I think it was patterns 5
and 7 or 8). Every memory stick I tested would generate the same
pattern of errors, but only when installed in that one memory slot.

Not saying that's your problem, but unfortunately, detecting memory
problems can be difficult, and ruling them out can be extremely time
consuming (and even then, your're never quite sure you've completely
ruled them out).

--
Ron Frazier