[mythtv-users] Seriously need help fixing new setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 22 08:34:25 UTC 2011

On 11/21/2011 05:07 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 11:37 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Hah! There is no hostname associated with the MasterServerIP setting.
>>> (Or is that a cut-n-paste error?)
>> That is correct--there shouldn't be a hostname associated with
>> MasterServerIP.  And this is why we don't recommend directly editing the
>> database data, because if you change that, it will break all of MythTV.  :)
>>
>> As I said--and as Geoff confirmed (and actually described how to fix) in
>> the other half of this thread--first step is to fix the host name change.
>
> ">  That is correct--there shouldn't be a hostname associated with
>   >  MasterServerIP."
>
> Huh??  Interesting. I have four standalone myth setups atm (including
> the F16 setup presently being poked and prodded in a virtual on the
> laptop). All of them have a host entry for the MasterServerIP row (along
> with the IP address of course).

The point is that the MasterServerIP can /not/ be different on any of
the hosts--it has to be the same everywhere.  It's a global setting so
the hostname should be NULL.  If we stored it with a hostname, different
hosts could see different values for MasterServerIP.

>   In all cases, the IP and hostname are
> also paired in the relevant /etc/hosts file.
>
> I have never directly entered the hostname into the db.
>
> I do admit to having *changed* it in a mass amendment when 'porting' the
> database from the home box onto this desktop. I got lazy and just
> grabbed everything on the home box and copied into place. After changing
> the 2 IP instances and all of the hostnames, myth was quite happy to
> start and run. It thought that the tuners and a lot of recordings had
> suddenly gone missing but was fine with that.
>

> Not that it makes any difference, but I am a little surprised. Having
> the IP address makes the name surperflous, while having the name inserts
> a dependency on their being a good /etc/hosts file, or a DNS server
> available. But both is belt and braces....??

MythTV doesn't rely on any form of external name-based address
resolution.  All addressing of requests is done using data in the MythTV
configuration.  However, MythTV /does/ rely on each host having a unique
identifier that we can use to store its settings/configuration--and we
use the host name, as provided by the system, unless the user creates an
override and specifies their own identifier.

Mike